Tuesday, June 10, 2008

MaryJane (Gillett) West



I enjoyed reading others’ posts so thought I would share a little what I have been up to since our Graduation.
After high school I went to UofU. I started out in nursing, but then took a psychology class and realized how much I enjoyed it (I learned I wasn’t the only crazy person around) and pursued psychology.
In 2000 I grew tired of Utah and needed an adventure, so I tried to think of the furthest place possible, in my mind it was Africa. I volunteered with a program (kind of like the Peace Corp). Basically I rode around the States in a hippie van raising funds for Africa. Yeah, they had us “idealistic” kids begging for money on the streets all over the country. After 6 months of fundraising on the streets I went to Zambia, Africa for 6 months and volunteered in the “bush” with the HIV/AIDS centers and the preschool teachers. An amazing experience, but mostly because I met my husband, David West, while working in Zambia.
2001 David and I returned to Utah so I could finish school, David didn’t know at that time that I am a professional student. I switched my major to Sociology and graduated with a double BS in Psychology and Sociology. No, I don’t use my degrees.
David finally convinced me to marry him (after 5 years of dating) and we married in 2005. A couple months later we adopted a darling dog, the famous Mr. Charlie Brown. He is the joy of our life.
Currently, David and I live in Springdale, Utah, (right at the mouth of Zion Canyon). We own a beautiful fine art photography gallery, David J. West Gallery, which we opened April 1, 2007. (David is a photographer). We are opening our second gallery (mixed-media) July 1, 2008, Old Church Gallery, also in Springdale, Utah. Our current website is http://www.davidjwest.com/.
I just signed up for classes, sigh, for Autumn semester.
We spend our time going crazy in Nature.

1 comment:

Mark Johnston said...

So I met you in your husbands studio and had no idea we went to high school together. Your dog is amazing.