Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ryan Vogel


I really can’t believe it’s been 10 years already! I wish I could make it to the reunion this summer but we just can’t make it out right now... I would like to say first though – a BIG THANK YOU to Sherie and Sophie for this blog in addition to all the hard work they have done for the reunion. This is all due to them and their dedication.

Well, the past 10 years have been eventful. After graduation, I attended UVSC for a year before serving a mission to the Philippines. Two years later I was back at UVSC, which I loved, where I finished up in 2004, graduating in Political Science and English. I took a year “off” after college and was fortunate enough to be able to teach introductory political science and American history classes at UVSC for three semesters.

It was during this time that I met my wonderful and beautiful wife Maren, from Kaysville, Utah. As some of you know who have met her she is amazing and a perfect match for me (i.e. she makes fun of me mercilessly and humbles me every day!) After a year of dating – sometimes long distance when I moved to Washington, DC – we were married in May of 2006. We currently live in Alexandria, Virginia (across the river from DC) and are loving life out here.

I moved out to DC in 2005 for law school at American University and to work on the Hill with Senator Hatch’s office. It has been a great experience and in the past couple years I have been able to work at the State Department and with a pro bono law firm assisting post-conflict states with writing constitutions and peace treaties. Pretty much my dream jobs! I just graduated from law school and right now I am studying for the Maryland bar. I will take up my new job for the Department of Defense (at the Pentagon) doing foreign policy work in August. Maren currently works at a lobbying firm downtown but we are planning on starting a family in the very near future. Life has been really busy but very good to us.

Anyway, it is great to see all the people in here! I really wish I could have made it back to Utah for the reunion. If anyone wants to stay in touch – or get back in touch – email me at ryanjvogel@hotmail.com. Have fun and see you in 5 or 10!

1 comment:

Elizabeth Bird said...

Hey just wanted to say Hi. I don't know if you remember me or not... It's Liz Bird. I missed the reunion too. Bummer but it's good to see that you're doing great... we'll try again in another ten years :)